GLORIOUS TIMES (REVISED & EXTENDED EDITION) IS NOW TOTALLY SOLD OUT. WE HAVE NO MORE COPIES.

LEARN MORE ABOUT GLORIOUS TIMES BOOK HERE

Friday, May 25, 2012

CUNTSCUMB


Interview with Bonez Poley, vocalist for the southern Ontario metal band Cuntscumb.

Cuntscumb at the 2011 Niagara Metalfest

GT - Who came up with the name Cuntscumb?

Bonez - I did, back in highschool. I had this all-girl “band”, but it was a joke. We could barely play instruments and we didn’t have any original songs. I envisioned us becoming a crust punk band but nothing ever came of it. Then when Callum Labonte and I started jamming, the first song we wrote together was “Jizzrag”, and I knew that we were what Cuntscumb was supposed to sound like.

GT - How long has the band been together?

Bonez - Callum and I started jamming around 3 years ago. It took awhile to find a solid line-up and there’s been a few changes since. Our current roster has been steady for about a year. (Ryan Mattie (Killbat)- guitar, Rod Standish- bass, Kyle Foy- drums, and myself on vox.)

Cuntscumb at the 2011 Niagara Metalfest

GT - Cuntscumb is just as much a visual band as they are a musical band. was it hard to convince the guys to go along with the image/theatrics?

Bonez - Good question! It seems generally we’re all pretty stoked on the theatrical aspect, but everyone has somewhere they draw the line, whereas I’m always wanting to push it as far as possible. I used to have to bribe Callum to wear a bondage harness, though oddly he was all about rocking the adult diapers! When Kyle joined, he showed up to his first gig with us dressed completely in drag, all on of his own volition. I knew then that he was a perfect fit.

GT - Do you ever worry about being pigeon-holed as a novelty act?

Bonez - I don’t worry too much. I realize there’s only a certain type of people who will actually “get” what we’re doing, and at the end of the day it’s about having fun and not pleasing everyone blah blah, haha. But yeah, I think a lot of people don’t know what to make of us at first. Especially when we’re playing a venue with a less than ideal sound system where you can’t really make out everything that’s going on. I also think our stage show can distract from our sound. I’ve been told by people who didn’t dig us at first that they gained appreciation after paying more attention to the music. I’m hoping once our full-length comes out it will give more people a chance to hear us they way we’re supposed to sound and realize that there’s more to us than gimmicks and antics. But at the end of the day, gimmicks and antics are hilarious and a blast and that’s definitely a huge part of us too.


Cuntscumb at the 2011 Niagara Metalfest

GT - You've played many shows between Niagara Falls and Toronto, have you ever played beyond those areas?

Bonez - If you count London and Oshawa beyond those areas? Haha. We actually have a pretty good following in Oshawa and love playing there. (Shout out to Liam Wilson of Gutterslime Productions!) But no, we haven’t strayed out of Southern Ontario just yet. Hoping to get across Canada in 2012 in the wake of our pending album release… and then the world!

GT - How did the deal with SFM come about?

Bonez - Keegan Khaos (head of SFM) booked us a few times in Toronto. He dug what we were doing and appreciated our DIY ethic so he approached me about releasing our album. I love Keegan and love a lot of bands on SFM so of course I was stoked! And, seriously: Skull. Fucking. Metal.


Cuntscumb at the 2011 Niagara Metalfest

GT - When can we expect the full length to be released?

Bonez - Soon!! We are going into the studio shortly with Ethan Rising producing us, and it will be released through Skull Fucking Metal! Skull. Fucking. Metal!!!!

GT - Any chance of any dates south of the border?

Bonez - Currently at least 2 of the 4 of us are banned from the good ol’ US of A, but we are working on that. Hope to get it sorted out in the next couple of years, so stay tuned!

GT - Cuntscumb is a band that really needs to be seen to be fully appreciated, are there any plans to release a live dvd?

Bonez - Haven’t really thought about it. I guess it could happen down the road, but as with most heavy bands I’d say experiencing the raw energy is an important part of the show, and doesn’t translate well to film. So I guess you’re best off just getting your ass to Canada to come see us! You can crash at my place.








No comments: